Sub PoP Records is 20

Posted by Resistance Magazine | 1:28 PM | | 0 comments »



I have never been a huge fan of Nirvana. For that matter, grunge music in general was overrated to me. That's because when I was in high school in the early 1990s, most of what I listened to were bands like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Byrds and any other band from that magical period in music history. Sure, the 1960s was a truly historical time for music. But, while I obsessed over whether the voice I heard at the end of "Strawberry Fields Forever" said "I buried Paul" or "strawberry jam", music history was being made all around me. One of those events was the founding of the indie label Sub Pop Records.

Sub Pop became a pioneer in the grunge music scene in the late 1980s and early '90s, making Seattle the grunge-rock kingdom it eventually came to be and forever marking the '90s as the birth and death of Grunge.

Now that I'm older, I see how close-minded I was when it came to music. Though I still consider myself a music snob, I have widened my music-listening range to genres I would have never considered worthy of my time when I was 16, such as country, hip-hop and yes... grunge. Man, I feel old.

Check out NPR's feature on their web site:

Also, check out Sub Pop's web site here:



0 comments